The Royal Gazette has announced strict preventive measures in Bangkok and its vicinity and in four Southern provinces for at least thirty days to prevent the spread of Covid-19 Coronavirus in the early hours of this morning, June 27th.
The measures mainly include the temporary closures of construction campsites, the prohibition of dine-in in all restaurants, and no large gatherings of more than 20 people.
The government has stressed multiple times this is NOT a lockdown and asks people not to use this terminology, stating that the correct description is preventative health measures to protect the public.
It will be put in effect in 10 provinces, namely Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Pathum Thani, Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala, and Songkhla, starting this Monday, June 28th. Chonburi is not currently included for TPN’s local residents.
The announcement of 11 preventive measures are as follows:
- Implement urgent measures to prevent the outbreak in specific targeted areas in all 10 provinces listed above for a period of at least 30 days.
- Close all construction sites, including building modification or demolition sites, and close all construction camps inside and outside the construction site, including an order to temporarily halt the construction and to prohibit the travel of construction workers for at least 30 days.
- Observe the health measures and practices of entrepreneurs or responsible persons in establishments and factories and see whether they are complying with the disease control measures (Bubble and Seal) as prescribed by the government, including setting conditions to control or limit the movement of travel in and out of the area of the establishments or factories. This applies especially to construction sites.
- Implement urgent integrated control measures only in Bangkok and its vicinity: Selling food at all restaurants for takeout only; department stores, community malls to open until 9.00 PM.; Movie theaters, water parks, dining areas in food courts to be closed; Hotels, exhibition centers, convention centers to refrain from organizing meetings, seminars, and banquets of more than 20 people.
- Have officers inspect community areas, markets, and other places where there is a high risk of disease outbreaks. Expedite the search for infected people and relocate those who are at risk of infection for isolation and quarantine. When a mass outbreak source is detected, the provincial governor can order the temporary closure of the area or order travel restrictions in and out of the area.
- Engage government staff to assist people affected by the closure and travel restriction orders, especially vulnerable groups, underprivileged people, the elderly, or people who receive appropriate assistance.
- Set conditions for using transportation routes and travel health screenings for at least 30 days as follows:
- – Set up travel screening checkpoints in and out of the southern border provinces (Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala, Songkhla). Those who desire to travel outside the province must present their ID card with the necessary documents issued by the relevant authorities or local administration.- Set up screening points at all entry and exit city routes in Bangkok and its vicinity (Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon) to strictly control the movement of construction workers who might be working across provinces. Only workers who are allowed to travel by the provincial governors of the province of origin and destination can travel. Travel across the provinces for the general public can be done so as necessary. This is not a lockdown or prohibition of travel, except for construction workers, and the general public can travel as needed. However, it is discouraged and there may be interviews and extensive interviews about the need for travel. It is unclear how exactly they will identify construction workers, notes TPN. Also, keep in mind the next point.
– Set up strict travel screening checkpoints in and out of other provinces as necessary. In the case there is a traveler from a province designated as the highest and strict control area, the authorities should take measures to control and prevent disease by keeping, observing, and quarantining the individual at state quarantine areas specified by the government. Essentially, if you travel out of one of the ten provinces listed at the top of this article, expect mandatory quarantine, according to Thai authorities. However, travel is not forbidden to the general public.
- Deploy security forces to strictly monitor and suppress any smuggling acts or any conspiracy to commit illegal acts, including gambling, drug abuses, any behavior that likely leads to racing or competition, and any operation of underground entertainment venues/partying.
- Implement measures for off-site operations to reduce traveling and interpersonal contact, especially among agencies or establishments in the highest and strict control areas.
- Ask the public to refrain from organizing social activities in the form of social gatherings, banquets, parties, meetings, or festive events in the highest and strictest control areas to reduce interpersonal contact for at least 30 days, unless they are religious customary rites and ceremonies that have already been prepared and implemented with strict Covid-19 measures.