The Thai Natural Resources and Environment Minister urged relevant authorities to plan a long-term solution to the box jellyfish presence in the Gulf of Thailand, following a tragic accident of a 9-year-old Israeli boy who was stung by a box jellyfish to death in Koh Pha-ngan, Surat Thani yesterday, August 28th.
Minister Varawut Silpa-archa expressed his condolences regarding the death of the young boy who was reportedly swimming in Haad Rin in Koh Phangan when he was stung by a box jellyfish on Saturday. He was rushed to the hospital but unfortunately, he was pronounced dead later in the evening.
Varawut has ordered staff and academics from the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources and the Department of National Parks, Wildlife, and Plant Conservation to conduct the survey of the box jellyfish and their growing presence in Koh Phangan and other areas where toxic jellyfish are found in the country.
The installation of vinegar first aid poles will be conducted in all major tourist areas as vinegar could potentially help delay the spread of the poison, the minister added.
Sophon Thongdee, Director-General of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources, urged all tourism establishments to warn tourists not to swim in the evening and after dark, especially after the rain. They should wear a full-length swimsuit and not swim outside the buoy area.
The Director-General stated: “If anyone is presumably strung by a box jellyfish, immediately pour the wound with vinegar – not plain water or rub it with sand because that may increase the spread of the poison. If found unconscious, immediately perform a heart pump before taking them to the nearest hospital.”
“If you find someone poisoned by a box jellyfish, immediately notify the authorities in that area or call hotline number 1669 to provide immediate assistance.” The Director-General concluded.
Follow us on Facebook,