RECAP: Two pro-democracy protests staged in Bangkok yesterday evening

Bangkok –

Two pro-democracy protests gathered in Bangkok yesterday afternoon, September 5th, to continuously demand the Prime Minister’s resignation after he survived a censure debate on Saturday.

Former red-shirt leader Nattawut Saikua and political activist Sombat Bunngam-anong or “Bo Ko Lai Jut” had organized a non-stop protest at Asoke Intersection at around 4:00 PM. yesterday. “Thalu Fah” protest members also joined the group for pro-democracy activities to write a symbolic “people’s constitution”.

Nattawut revealed that continual rallies will be staged from now on to oust General Prayut as, according to Nattawut, he failed to manage the overall situation, especially the Covid-19 domestic pandemic, and was no longer considered the Prime Minister for Thai people.

“The protest will continue consecutively but the movement will be adjusted accordingly to the Covid-19 situation in Bangkok and in Thailand to help prevent the spread as effectively as possible,” Nattawut stated.

Political activist Sombat added that the protest will be held daily at the same intersection as the main stage to do political activities as the majority of the Members of Parliament had voted in favor of the Prime Minister during the four-day no-confidence debate last Saturday.

He told the press: “Today’s rally was a response to reject the result of this vote. And we will come out to gather every day at the Asoke intersection as a fortress for doing many activities and speeches but not staying overnight. We also encourage everyone to join the “car mob” protest that will be staged soon.”

Meanwhile, a group of hardline protesters called “Thalu Gas” gathered again at the Sam Liam Din Daeng junction around 5:00 PM., when they were reportedly throwing ping-pong bombs and firecrackers near the Royal Thai Army Music Department on Vibhavadi Road.

The crowd control police then arrived at the scene to control the situation before starting to fire tear gas and rubber bullets at the young protesters who were also fought back by throwing more handmade explosives, according to witnesses and footage from the scene.

The confrontation lasted for more than three hours and ended shortly after curfew hours. No injuries were reported and confirmed by Bangkok Law Enforcement yet.


Follow us on Facebook,

Join us on LINE for breaking alerts!


User Review
0 (0 votes)
Nop Meechukhun
National News Writer at The Pattaya News from September 2020 to October 2022. Born and raised in Bangkok, Nop enjoys telling stories of her hometown through her words and pictures. Her educational experience in the United States and her passion for journalism have shaped her genuine interests in society, politics, education, culture, and art.