Unemployed workers during the Covid-19 pandemic can apply to receive unemployment benefits from the Social Security Office (SSO) from January 4th, announced by Thai officials earlier this month.
This includes foreign workers with a work permit and social security.
Social Security Office Secretary-General Tosapol Kritawongwiman told Thai media, “We are ready to provide benefits for unemployed workers under a ministerial regulation on unemployment benefits in this Covid – 19 pandemic.”
How to apply for unemployment benefits in the list below:
- For employees: Fill in the form ‘สปส.2-01/7’ which can be downloaded and printed from sso.go.th before being sent to your employers with a copy of your bank book (with detail of bank account number and name.)
- For employers: Collect all forms from employees.
- For employers: Fill in detail from employees on e-Service (sso.go.th) including
– Detail of employees in the form ‘สปส.2-01/7’ form.
– Certificate documents of not working as the result of closure orders / quarantine. (Approved reasons are if the business is closed by the government due to Covid-19 regulations or if the worker has to do a fourteen day quarantine)
- Employees: Send all forms and documents after your employer has filled them in from e-Service to the Social Security Office (SSO) in the area online or the documents can be sent via registered post within three business days after the forms and documents have been filled in the e-Service application by your employer.
- The Social Security Office (SSO) will transfer money (compensation benefits) within five business days (In case you have not received any money please contact the hotline at 1506) after all documents have been approved.
The E-Service system for unemployment benefits request is in the link below.
The SSO noted that “No need for employees to go to SSO office.” If you need assistance with the process as a foreign worker, the SSO suggested to work with your employer for assistance or to call the hotline and request an English speaker at 1506.