Thai Woman Charged with Murder in Wales Over Death of Boy, 7


Police have confirmed on January 12th, 2024, that a woman has been charged with murder following the death of a child in Haverfordwest.

42-year-old Papaipit Linse, born in Chiang Mai, Thailand, was arrested at the scene, and has now been charged with murder.

She has been remanded in police custody to appear at court in Swansea (Saturday, Jan 13, Wales Time).

Forensic investigators spent all of the evening of January 12th at a top-floor flat on Upper Market Street, following the death of a seven-year-old boy in Haverfordwest. Pembrokeshire’s county town is in shock after the incident, which led to the arrest of Linse, believed to be the mother of the child.

Police vans lined the street outside the mixed retail and residential building, where neighbours and passersby have started laying flowers.

A neighbour, who preferred to remain anonymous, described witnessing paramedics responding to the incident, a sight that he said he found deeply upsetting.

The police confirmed the arrest of the woman soon after the incident. Neighbours know her as a reserved Asian woman, a single mother raising two children under challenging circumstances.

The ground floor of the building, formerly a physiotherapy studio and gym known as TriExercise, is a familiar landmark in the town’s Upper Market Street. Dr. Sean Phelan, a 69-year-old hospital doctor living next door, expressed his shock, noting that the woman was always quite friendly, although he did not know her well.

He mentioned never seeing a man at the residence and described the children as well-looked-after and well-behaved.

The street was sealed off by police at approximately 10.45 am on the day of the incident, following an emergency call.

This closure impacted local businesses, including a nearby Samaritans charity shop, which had to lock up for the day. The offices of Preseli-Pembrokeshire Welsh Assembly member Paul Davies and Preseli-Pembrokeshire MP Stephen Crabb are also located just a few doors away from the scene.

Questions about why the child was at home, given that schools had reopened earlier in the week, add to the mystery surrounding the incident.

Lee Evans, 39, a resident opposite the property, commented on the changing atmosphere of the street, noting the woman’s reluctance to engage with neighbours in his opinion.

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson stated that the investigation into the circumstances leading to the child’s death is ongoing.

The police confirmed that the seven-year-old was pronounced dead shortly after their arrival on Wednesday.

Expressing condolences to the family, the spokesperson confirmed that a woman is in police custody on suspicion of murder.

This incident has left a profound impact on the Haverfordwest community, with many grappling to understand how such a tragedy could occur in their midst.